A new accelerator will provide intense beams of H+, 4He+, 12C+ and 12C++ in the energy range: 350 keV- 3.5 MeV. The machine is presently under construction at High Voltage Engineering Europe (HVEE) in The Netherlands and is optimized for high long- and short-term energy stability, long duty cycle and long term operation without personnel on site.
Before shipment to LNGS the machine will be fully tested and commissioned at facilities of HVEE. Delivery at LNGS is scheduled for the May/June 2018 followed by a six months commissioning phase. First physics experiments are envisaged at beginning 2019.
Since spring 2016, a working group of experienced engineers from LNGS is working on the design and construction of the new accelerator laboratory inside Hall B of the LNGS underground facilities. An artist’s view is shown in Figure 1. The accelerator and target stations will be installed in a room shielded by 80 cm thick concrete walls with two sliding doors of the same material thickness. Independent GEANT and MCNP simulations have shown that, even at the highest neutron production rate for experiments at the machine this shielding will constrain the neutron flux outside the accelerator room to a factor 5 lower than the natural neutron background inside the underground laboratories. After tendering, the construction works are scheduled to start in September 2017.
The full proposal can be found here.
Construction Timeline for the required technical facilities:
- December 2014: Tender approved by INFN Executive Board
- May 2016: Contract awarded to High Voltage Engineering Europe (The Netherlands)
- The accelerator is presently under construction at High Voltage Engineering Europe and will be installed in the underground laboratories of LNGS after all technical plants and authorizations are in place.
- Neutron shielding
- 2015: The neutron shielding design approved by LNGS
- December 2016: Engineering of shielding structure concluded
- Tendering of shielding will start in early 2017, installation scheduled to start by Fall 2017
- Technical plants
- December 2016: Engineering of technical plants starts and will be concluded by Spring 2017
- Summer 2017: Tendering of technical plants, installation scheduled in early 2018.